Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Magnolia League

I had the chance to meet Katie Crouch, the author of The Magnolia League, last Friday. It was my second time hearing and author speak and I really enjoyed hearing about how she writes and even enjoyed her reading from her childhood diary. Thanks to the awesome librarian at my school, I had the chance to read an ARC of The Magnolia League before the signing. The book is written in a refreshing voice that was easy for me to relate to. Set in Georgia with a short stop in California, it had that southern feel that reminded me a bit of Beautiful Creatures by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia. The Magnolia League is not just your everyday debutant league, these ladies handle business with the help of hoodoo. Not only does Alex have to get used to a new town, she has to try and figure out the secrets that have been driving The Magnolia League for years. This is the first in a trilligy and while it leaves you wanting more, it still has an intriguing ending. I'm excited about sharing this book with friends and students.

Katie Crouch reading  from The Magnolia League

Katie Crouch and Me (the Hello Kitty book is one of her first diaries that she read from)

No comments:

Post a Comment