Sunday, September 25, 2011

Banned Books Week...Did you know

In celebration of Banned Books Week, I'd like to discuss books that have been banned that really surpised me or that I love.  Today's shocking banned book is:


The Princess Diaries
by Meg Cabbot
Summary:  Average ninth-grader Mia finds her life turned upside down when it is
revealed that her father, who always claimed merely to be a European politician, is in fact a
bona fide prince. Finding that she is now a “princess,” Mia is sent skittering on a comic
  roller-coasterride into royalty.

This book was banned in a Texas school district because it had sexual content that was considered inappropriate for grades preK -6.

I'm shocked that this book was banned, though, I am shocked at anyone who bans books.  Since the books is marketed for ages 13-18, wouldn't it make more sense to not order it for a campus that was preK-6 than to just ban it?  Everyone has a different reading maturity level and some can handle books that may be considered for "older" kids, but that should be for a parent to decide.

In doing a little research on why the Princess Diaries was banned, I stumbled across an article with an interview of Meg Cabbot for banned books week last year.  You can read the article from Story Snoops HERE.

Curl up and enjoy a great banned book!
Don't forget to check out my giveaway for the Banned Books Week Hop.  Both of my giveaway books have been banned in the past, if you win you can keep them or share them with a friend.   

No comments:

Post a Comment