Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Release Date:  Janurary 2, 2012
Publisher: Poppy/ Little Brown
Recommended for ages 12 & up
Summary (from Goodreads):

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A. 

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it. 


My Review:  5 stars
When I picked up this book, I was looking for something happy and easy to read to distract me the week after my mom passed away.  This was the PERFECT book for that job.  Not only did it get me out of a reading slump but it made me smile so much my mood stayed a little more upbeat.  

While I've never experienced having parents divorce and remarry, I could imagine how Hadley would feel the way she did about having to attend her father's wedding in another country.  As a believer that everything happens for a reason, watching what seemed like a bad sign turn into something beautiful through out the story was refreshing and real.  Of course then there is Oliver, who is a bit of a mystery at first but a very well mannered mystery (and yes ladies, there are still guys out there who will give up their set for a lady, I married one).  There were times when my heart broke for both Hadley and Oliver, but through their various meetings and conversation, each grew as a person and that helped them deal with their own situations.  I absolutely adored this book and can't wait to share it with my students.  Even better, is I can share it with my students and not worry about if there was too much of something in there for a 7th or 8th grader to read.  Oh, and lets not forget about how much this math teacher LOVES the title!  
For those looking for a great contemporary read look no farther than

You can find Jennifer E. Smith online:


2 comments:

  1. I adored this book!!! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many good things about this book and this review makes me want to move it to the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete