Friday, April 27, 2012

Mini Review ~ Dead is a Battlefield


Dead is a Battlefield
Release Date: March 2012

Summary (from Goodreads):

Jessica Walsh is starting her freshman year at Nightshade High and trying to forget about the tragic events surrounding her brother’s graduation. She wants to have a normal high school experience. But that’s easier said than done in Nightshade.

When a new boy shows up at school, the girls are infected with a case of seriously creepy crushes. But when their obsession turns to violence, Jessica and her friends start to wonder if there’s more going on than just a little friendly rivalry. Are the smitten girls turning into love zombies?

And Jessica has other worries—like her crush on Dominic Gray, the cute but moody new singer for Side Effects May Vary, and the mysterious tattoo that appeared on her arm one day and lets her know whenever there is trouble brewing. Jessica learns she's a Virago, a woman warrior chosen to fight evil whenever it threatens her hometown. But does a lowly freshman really have what it takes to keep Nightshade safe?

My Review: 4 Stars
I received this book at ALA Midwinter for my honest review, and sadly didn't even realize it was the sixth book in a series. I picked it up out of my stack because I needed a small book to get me out of my slump and what a fun one I picked up!  While it is the sixth in a series, I really didn't feel lost, rather it made me want to go back and read the other five.  I'm sure you are thinking, "Why would you read something out of order?".  Well, I read the second Harry Potter book for a class before reading the first and I LOVE that series, so sometimes it just works.  What I really like about this book is that is has just enough action and weirdness in every chapter to keep the attention of even the most reluctant reader (an important feature for me since I'm always looking for great books to share with my students).   The overall size of the book and slightly large font is also a huge plus for intermediate readers.  If you like action, zombies, high school emotions, girls who kick butt and rock-stars who can "see" the future, then Dean is a Battlefield is the book for you.  If you are looking for a quick, entertaining read then pick this one up (or one of the first five if you don't like to read books out of order).

You can find Marlene Perez on:
GoodReads
Twitter
Website

No comments:

Post a Comment