Saturday, July 7, 2012

Review ~ No Good Deed



No Good Deed

Author: Bill Blais

Published: March 9, 2012

Synopsis: Kelly McGinnis has spent her adult life trying to do the right thing, but as a newly down-sized mother of twins and the wife of a man living with Muscular Sclerosis, she also knows that trying isn’t always enough.

While interrupting a scene of police brutality, Kelly unwittingly releases a real, live demon. After she manages to kill the creature through gut instinct and blind luck, she is approached to join a secret group of demon hunters who reveal an underworld of monsters and magic. Kelly’s mill town upbringing proves an unexpected asset and the pay more than covers her husband’s treatments, but the work begins to undermine her sense of right and wrong as she struggles to maintain her ‘normal’ life.

When she encounters Umber, a compelling incubus with an unexpectedly human story, Kelly learns that the truth is far stranger and more terrifying than she imagined.


My Review:     This was my first adult paranormal novel to have read in a while.  I really liked how the main character, Kelly, was a real person.  By real, I mean she isn't some barbie doll/ perfect 10 character where everything seems to fall into place, she has real issues (a husband with MS and twins) and just wants to take care of her family.  
     At first, it was a little hard for me to get into the story, though it may have been because I'm so used to reading YA or MG books.  The author did a good job building an emotional connection between Kelly and her family and her struggle to accept her new job, demons and all.  The second half of the book moved much quicker for me and kept my attention better, though I felt like I was just getting to know Kelly when something happens to make her rethink things.  I know this is the first Kelly & Umber book, but was a little suprised at how long it took us to meet Umber, though it seems to have set up book two nicely.  
    I give No Good Deed, 3.5 stars.  I enjoyed it and do want to read book two to see where things go.  If you are into adult paranormal stories then I'd give this one a try.
Purchase the book on Amazon  and Smashwords.

Read a Sample Chapter  of No Good Deed.
Author Bio: Bill Blais is a writer, web developer and perennial part-time college instructor. His novels include Witness (winner of the Next Generation Indie Book Award for Fantasy) and the Kelly & Umber urban fantasy series. Bill graduated from Skidmore College before earning an MA in Medieval Studies from University College London. He lives in Maine with his wife and daughter.

Where to Find the Author:
Website   Goodreads   Twitter 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, Sarah, and for giving NGD a try! Fair points, and I think Hell Hath No Fury addresses the gaps you mention (though I'm obviously biased). Regardless, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete